Proteus is a full-service bike shop, carrying road, gravel/cyclocross, touring, mountain, urban/hybrid/commuter/fitness bikes, accessories, parts, tools, clothes, and supplies. We have a full service repair facility, and offer professional builds, fitting, and outfitting services.
Proteus Bicycles has been a College Park institution for over 40 years. In the 1970s and 1980s, the shop built custom bikes and bicycle frames, including special orders for racers. In the 2000s, under the ownership of Jill DiMauro, Proteus became more of a community focused bike shop. Laurie Lemieux and Ben Bassett purchased the shop in 2012 and have further expanded community involvement and local advocacy efforts. In December 2018, Proteus Bicycles moved from the original location on Route 1 to a larger location on Rhode Island Avenue in the Hollywood Shopping Center.
We stock a large inventory of new bikes, mostly from Specialized, Jamis, Kona, and Dahon. Our customers range from kids to great-grandparents, beginners to experts, and recreational cyclists to racers. We keep our bicycle commuting customers going all year round with service and equipment for all weather.
Our mission is to help you get on a bike and ride to your heart’s content. We want to make sure you get on the best bike for you, be sure it fits you perfectly, and see you out riding in our community. All riders are welcome!
Why Choose Proteus?
- Washington Consumer Checkbook’s top rating for sales service quality and repair quality in the Spring/Summer 2019 issue.
- Best of DC, Bike Shops, Washington City Paper, 2019
- Hyattsville Wire’s Best of Route 1, 2018, 2019, 2020 Best Bike Shop
- Runner Up Best Woman Owned Business, Best Locally Owned Shop
- Proteus Brews Best Barista
- Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA) Bicyclists Choice Awards
- Best Bike Shop 2016, 2017
- Best Social Ride 2016
Proteus Velo Club Schedule of Events & Rides (Check Events Page for Updates)
- Friday Morning Breakfast Meet-up at The Board & Brew, 7:45 – 9AM
- Friday Evening Training Ride at Greenbelt National Park, 6:30 – 7:30 PM
- Saturday Road Ride in the Beltsville Ag Center
- Saturday Social Ride on the Trail System, social pace, 12-20+ miles
- Sunday Mountain Bike Meet-Up at Fairland
Proteus Velo Club Rides
Rides range from social rides (low pace, 10 or so miles) to road and mountain biking. Saturday usually has a road ride (20-25 miles, 16-18mph) at 9am, and a social ride at 11am (10 miles, easy pace, food or coffee stop). Sunday mountain bike rides are usually at 10am, but could be canceled for wet trails. We may do longer excursions to DC or Takoma Park or Baltimore on any given weekend, so always check the calendar, or Facebook.
Hang out and talk with our staff and volunteers, check on the weekend's rides, learn about the Proteus Velo Club, and have fun! All are welcome!
Races and Excursions
The club organizes excursions to races, rides, training events, beer rides, and so on.