Proteus is a full-service bike shop, carrying road, gravel/cyclocross, touring, mountain, urban/hybrid/commuter/fitness bikes, accessories, parts, tools, clothes, and supplies. We have a full service repair facility, and offer professional builds, fitting, and outfitting services.
Proteus Bicycles has been a College Park institution for over 40 years. In the 1970s and 1980s, the shop built custom bikes and bicycle frames, including special orders for racers. In the 2000s, under the ownership of Jill DiMauro, Proteus became more of a community focused bike shop. Laurie Lemieux and Ben Bassett purchased the shop in 2012 and have further expanded community involvement and local advocacy efforts. In December 2018, Proteus Bicycles moved from the original location on Route 1 to a larger location on Rhode Island Avenue in the Hollywood Shopping Center.
We stock a large inventory of new bikes from Specialized, Jamis, Kona, Bianchi, Salsa, All City, and Dahon. Our customers range from kids to great-grandparents, beginners to experts, and recreational cyclists to racers. We keep our bicycle commuting customers going all year round with service and equipment for all weather. Our top-rated service department has an average turnaround time of 2-3 days.
Our mission is to help you get on a bike and ride to your heart’s content. We want to make sure you get on the best bike for you, be sure it fits you perfectly, and see you out riding in our community. All riders are welcome!
Why Choose Proteus?
- Washington Consumer Checkbook’s top rating for sales service quality and repair quality in the Spring/Summer 2019 issue.
- Best of DC, Bike Shops, Washington City Paper, 2019
- Hyattsville Wire’s Best of Route 1, 2018, Best Bike Shop
- Runner up for Best Woman Owned Business, Best Locally Owned Shop
- Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA) Bicyclists Choice Awards
- Best Bike Shop 2016, 2017
- Best Social Ride 2016
Weekly Schedule of Events & Rides (Check Events Page for Updates)
- Thursday Pot-Luck Supper, 7-9 pm
- Friday Morning Breakfast Meet-up at The Board & Brew, 7:45 – 9AM
- Friday Evening Training Ride at Greenbelt National Park, 6:30 – 7:30 PM
- Saturday Fast & Furious Road Ride, 50 miles, 18-20+ mph, 7:30 – 11 am
- Saturday Road Ride in the Beltsville Ag Center, 14-16 mph, 22-25 miles, 9-11am
- Saturday Social Ride on the Trail System, social pace, 12-20+ miles, 11am-1pm
- Sunday Mountain Bike Meet-Up at Fairland, 10am-12pm
Community & Special Events
- June 8 Trolley Trail Day Breakfast Ride
- June 15, Ride Support for MS Ride, Easton, MD
- June 16, Ride Support for Just Tryan It Kid’s Triathlon, Bethesda, MD
- June 17, 5:30 – 8:30 pm - Diva Cycling Social Ride and Hands-On Fix a Flat Clinic
- June 20, 7-9 pm – Author Event: Daniel De Vise brings us the story of “The Comeback”, a new biography about Greg LeMond, The true kind of American cycling.
- November 2, 2019 – WABA Cider Ride
- October 5, 2019 – College Park Day